Sunday, March 13, 2005

Design as the New Religion

"I truly believe design thinking will make your life better." David Kelley, Stanford Univ. engineering professor and IDEO chairman.

I wholeheartedly support David's statement. I love design. I live to eat, breath, and make love to design. It's what gets me high, it's what gets me up in the morning, and it gives me permission to day dream about how people might react and cognitively interact with design on a daily basis.

I just read an article in Time under the Innovation heading: School of Bright Ideas. It outlines how IDEO's mission is to change the way student and businesses think.

Read it: http://www.time.com/time/insidebiz/article/0,9171,1034705,00.html

IDEO maintains that it's just common sense when one gets on the other side of design, but because of inertia and conditioning, we quickly lose the persepective we need. One has to do things to provoke creativity, and that's certainly where ECS|DC can fit in on a small scale to help our clients.

Adopting the learn, look, ask, try methodology, we can bring forth questions never thought of by the client. Dismissing the experience and constant creative questions that surround your business plan by your design team undermines your road to success.

Design Thought Strategy
When you say to yourself that you can design your own logo or create your own design guidelines, remember that design is more than skin deep. While market-research is imperative, the real solution is solving the problem behind the design challenge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home